URGE YOUR MEMBER OF CONGRESS TO SUPPORT THE INTERNATIONAL VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN ACT
- Dial (202) 224 – 3121 to reach the U.S. Capitol switchboard.
- Ask the operator to connect you to your Member of Congress. If you are not sure who your representative is, just enter your zip code on this website.
- Once you’re connected, just deliver this simple message:
“Hi, my name is [YOUR NAME] and I live in [YOUR TOWN]. Please tell Representative/Senator ____________ that I support the International Violence Against Women Act.”
Ask for the position of your Member of Congress on the bill. If they are a co-sponsor, thank them for their support and urge them to help pass IVAWA.
If they are not a cosponsor, you can say:
“Please urge the member of Congress to cosponsor the bill and help pass IVAWA.”
“I support the bill because:
- Violence against women and girls is a human rights violation occurring globally.
- At least one in every three women globally will be beaten, coerced into sex, or otherwise abused in her lifetime.
- The International Violence Against Women Act supports measures to prevent violence, protect survivors and bring perpetrators to justice.
You may request a written response to your telephone call.
FACTS ABOUT THE INTERNATIONAL VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN ACT
The International Violence Against Women Act would ensure that…
- Addressing gender-based violence worldwide is a key policy priority of the United States, and that the government implements a long-term and comprehensive strategy to prevent and respond to such violence.
- Programs that address gender-based violence are streamlined and better coordinated to be as effective as possible.
It bolsters programs that…
- Improve legal protections for people who have experienced gender-based violence;
- Respond more quickly and comprehensively to survivors’ needs; and
- Work to change attitudes that promote and condone gender-based violence.